Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chapter 20

Richie drove Jasmine over to her apartment the next evening after they had finished work. The record was ready and they were confident that there was only another few days of hard graft before they could relax and take a break. Jasmine was hoping that in the break she would have the chance to move into her new place and get settled before she would be expected to go and work with another artist. She was not looking forward to that prospect but she always knew that the Bon Jovi work was not a long term thing.
She took a deep breath and focused on the current job in hand, to go and pack some more things for her stay with Richie.
They pulled up outside her building; Richie squeezed her hand and kissed her forehead. He got out and rounded the car, opening her door and helping her out. He quickly took hold of her hand, gave her a reassuring smile and walked slowly to the front door. Jasmine hesitated before she put the key in the lock. She breathed deeply and entered the hallway and headed for her apartment. Richie’s hand rested on her back reassuringly.
“You can do it. There’s nothing to be afraid of. All we’re going to do is head down the hallway to your bedroom, grab some clothes and shit then we’re out of here. You don’t have to go anywhere near the living room.”
Jasmine nodded. “Stay with me. Don’t let go.”
“Never.” Richie replied calmly. He could feel her whole body shake with fear and her breathing was heavy. She put the key in the lock and turned it; looking at Richie for confirmation, she pushed the door open and stood still, staring into her once comfortable apartment.
Richie knew that Jasmine was on the verge of bolting or vomiting, but knew this was something she needed to do. He stood in front of her, still holding her hand and began to walk backwards. With him standing so tall in front of her, Jasmine could not see the living room in front of her. She followed Richie further into the hallway and towards her bedroom. She indicated that they were there and he pulled her into her room, shutting the door behind them.
“Right, that was easy enough huh? Now get what you need and we’ll be out of here. Anything you need from anywhere else, just tell me and I’ll get them.”
Jasmine was only able to nod, the power of speech had practically deserted her since she entered the apartment.
She busied herself gathering clothes, makeup and some of the things she needed for work. Richie sat on her bed and watched her methodically move around the room, folding things and packing them away. 
When she reached for something on her bedside table Richie groaned.
“Are they what I think they are?”
“Depends on what you think they are,” Jasmine grinned, holding a blister pack of pills.
“Birth control?”
“Bingo! You’re not as dumb as you look are you?” she joked, feeling a little more secure in the space. Having Richie near having a lot to do with the change in her mood.
“Why didn’t you tell me I’d forgotten them?”
“Well, at the time I was more concerned about getting out of here, and I wasn’t expecting to find out that you felt the same about me as I did about you. Then, well we were doing ok without, so I figured I’d just tell you when I came to get them. So, uh…well I’ve got birth control.” She said, wiggling her eyebrows.
“Now that is handy to know.” Richie said, conspiratorially.
A few minutes later and Jasmine had gathered everything she needed and was heading for the bedroom door. Richie had been unusually quiet while she packed and was looking wistful out of her window.
“A penny for them?”
“Huh?”
“What are you thinking about? You’ve been unusually quiet.”
“Just thinking. You know, it seems silly that you’re taking only a few things back to mine. Why don’t you just move in with me and bring everything with you?”
“What? Are you serious?”
“Deadly darlin’. Think about it. You and I aren’t going to stop seeing each other once you get your own place. Eventually we’ll move in together anyway, so why not just do it now? It seems silly for you to move once then move again so quickly.”
Jasmine was stunned. She certainly was not expecting Richie to suggest this, and it threw her.
“Rich…I…uh…” she stammered
“Don’t you want to?” Richie said, sounding dejected,
Jasmine took a deep breath, “It’s not that I don’t want to. Nothing would make me happier than to live with you permanently, but I just think it’s too soon.”
“Too soon? You’ve been with me for nearly a month already. What’s the difference?”
“I don’t know if I can explain it properly without upsetting you. Please know I don’t want to upset you, and I’m not against the idea in the future.”
“Ok, well try to explain and I’ll keep in mind you do want to live with me.”
Jasmine sat down on the bed next to him, rubbing her hand over his thigh.
“Living with you has been great, I love knowing that you’re there when I go to sleep and wake up, and I love spending time with you. It’s just that we were pushed into that situation and you’ve been looking after me. Don’t you think that we owe it to ourselves to find out if we’re this close just because of the situation? Don’t you think we should find out what it’s like having time apart? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that I’ll like it very much but we should at least give it a go before we make such a commitment.”
Richie nodded, he knew what she was getting at but he wasn’t worried in the slightest about his feelings not being real. He had known he was in love with her before her father made his appearance but if she wanted to take it slowly then that was her right. 
“I understand that but it does bring up one question. Do you think that you might not feel the same for me as I do for you?”
“NO! Not at all. Rich, I…I…” she stammered again, the ‘L’ word on the tip of her tongue,
“I just think we need to be 100% sure, and anyway what are we going to tell Jon and Island if I stay with you much longer? We’ve got to be careful not to out ourselves until the band is done with me.”
Richie sighed, knowing she was right and had won that particular argument.
“You’re right. I know you are. I just want to have you with me 24/7. We need to put a bomb up everyone and get them finished with the record.”
“It’ll be done soon. Which reminds me, I need to pack something for the wrap party. Give me a few minutes.” She said, getting up off the bed and back to the wardrobe.
Richie got up and followed her, “Don’t worry about that. We’re going shopping for that party. I’m treating you, and if you argue then I’m telling Jon to tell you it’s a thank you from us all.”
Jasmine shook her head at his insolence then took his hand, put him in front of her and opened the bedroom door.
“Let’s get out of here. I have everything I need and this place creeps me out now.”
“Your wish is my command darlin’. Let’s go.” And he led her out, locking up behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment