Monday, April 11, 2011

Chapter 19

Richie tried to subdue his grin when he walked back into the main studio, where everyone was busy doing their thing. He avoided looking at Jasmine, who herself was trying hard not to blush and let their secret out.
Both Jasmine and Richie were so caught up with trying to act normal that they didn’t see the knowing glances that were exchanged between the others in the room. Jon smirked at David, who was fanning himself, and Tico, who, uncharacteristically, was making crude moves behind Richie’s back. 
At the end of the day Jasmine said a quick goodbye to Richie and headed into the house where Jon was waiting with a box of photos, a camera and lots of paper in front of him.
Jasmine spent another 3 hours with Jon discussing photos, themes for the album and approaches to getting it done. She saw what he was looking for, but was reluctant to take pictures of them. Jon reassured her, seeming to have some unswerving faith in her and her ideas.
Dorothea offered to take Jasmine back to Richie’s place, taking the opportunity to get her to herself and try and find out anymore information about the budding relationship.
“So how’s it going working for Mr. Perfectionist? Has he let the stink eye out yet?”
Jasmine chuckled, “It’s going really well actually. I love working with all of the guys. They’re so knowledgeable and ready to listen to what I have to say, not like previous clients I’ve had. It’s nice to work with experienced artists like Richie and Jon and the others. Oh, and yeah, the stink eye was apparent this morning, quite something to see up close!”
Dorothea echoed Jasmine’s chuckle, “I knew it wouldn’t be long before it reappeared. He’s been on his best behavior for a month now!”
“He’s not so bad, I’ve worked with worse. In fact Jon’s been great ever since…” she trailed off. Dorothea just nodded in understanding.
“He’s not been working me too hard and checks on me several times a day; he’s almost gone into some kind of daddy bear mode. I find it really sweet but if you could convince him he doesn’t need to worry about me, that would be great.”
“I can’t convince him of anything. I’d like to help but if he wants to protect you then I’m sorry but he’s gonna. How’s it with Richie? Is he doing the same?”
“He was but he’s chilled out a little now. He doesn’t like to leave me on my own for long, and I’m sure I saw him frown when Jon asked me to stay on tonight. But he let it go so I’m sure he’s getting over his protectiveness.”
“He’s a loving man Jasmine, you seem to have gotten close to him, which means that he’ll move heaven and earth for you. He’d do it for any one of us but with you it seems he’d go that bit further.”
Jasmine could sense that Dorothea was on a fishing trip, whether on Jon’s orders or not. She knew that she couldn’t tell her the full story but she could give her a little of what she wanted.
“He’s easier to control at work, but when we’re at home, he hardly leaves me alone. I’d like to cook dinner once in a while to say thank you to him but I’m not allowed to lift a finger. It’s nice being pampered but I’m starting to feel like I’m taking advantage of his good nature.”
Dorothea's internal radar was bleeping incessantly. She was sure Richie had it bad for Jasmine, but she had no idea what Jasmine felt. Annoyingly, she wasn't letting a hint of anything other than friendship slip out.
They were soon crawling up the winding drive at Richie's house, and parking outside of the veranda.
“See you tomorrow Jas, pop in for a coffee at some point and we’ll try to come up with a way for you to say thank you to Rich.”
“Thanks Dot, see you tomorrow. Thank you for the ride home.”
Dorothea drove off, smiling to herself that Jasmine was calling Richie’s house her home. It may have been nothing, but coupled with the other information that Jon had given her, she was sure that there was more going on Chez Sambora, than the occupants would have anyone know.
Jasmine opened the front door and was confronted by the most delicious smells emanating from the kitchen and filling the hallway. She kicked off her shoes and padded towards the heavenly smell, her senses in overdrive at the possibility of what lay behind the kitchen door.
“Hello gorgeous, I’m back. What’s cooking?”
Richie whirled round and took Jasmine in his arms. He kissed her then put her back on her feet, leading her to the oven.
He opened the door and the steam wafted out seconds before the magnificent aroma of garlic and herb chicken, Mediterranean vegetables and rosemary potatoes. 
“Wow! You’ve been busy. What can I do to help?”
“Nothing. Everything is under control, and there’s a lemon pie for dessert. Not one of my creations, but one of Mom’s. She says hi by the way.”
“Did you go see her after Jon’s?”
“No, she popped in on the off chance. I’m sure it was more that she wanted to see if I was looking after you properly.”
“You’re certainly doing that. In fact I don’t think I need to be looked after quite so well any more. I’m feeling much better.”
“I know you are, but I like doing it. It’s kinda turned into a habit that I don’t want to kick.”
“You’re wonderful, you know that?”
Richie nodded, “Yeah, I have been told once or twice. You care to show me just how wonderful I am?”
“Hold your horses cowboy, I need to clean up after our foray into the closet. If you don’t give me food poisoning I promise I’ll show you how wonderful you are.”
Jasmine followed through with her promise several times after dinner, and fell asleep sated in her stomach and in other more sensitive areas of her body.
She woke up the next morning slightly stiff from the exertions of the night before and the healing of her damaged muscles. The nightmares had ceased and she was beginning to feel like her old self. Richie jumped into the shower after her and had just dried himself off when he reentered the bedroom.
He watched Jasmine stare into the wardrobe and sigh repeatedly.
“What’s wrong darlin’? You look like the weight of the world is on your shoulders.”
“I haven’t got many clothes here with me. I only have what you packed when you found me.”
“I’m sorry. I should have brought more.” Richie said, nuzzling her neck.
“Don’t you dare apologize. You did more than I could ever have possibly imagined that day, and ever since. I’m just saying that if you insist on me staying here longer than another few days, then I’m going to need some more clothes and pick up some other things.”
“Then we need to go get you some clothes. You’re not leaving here until the doc gives you the all clear and your appointment isn’t for a week yet.”
Jasmine huffed, “I figured you’d say that. Will you come with me? I don’t think I could go back by myself.”
“I wouldn’t have left you to go back by yourself Jas, I would have thought you would have known that. You don’t have to do any of it by yourself.”
She hugged him tightly as if her life depended on being close to him. She hadn’t really thought about it before but there was no way she would have been able to go back to the place by herself. She was still waiting for the paperwork to be finished on the house in Middletown and had hoped that she would only have to go back to her apartment once when she packed it up for good. Unfortunately for her the paperwork was taking ages to complete.
“Hey now, I hope you’re not crying there. There’s nothing to be scared of and you know you can stay here for as long as you want. Don’t worry about anything,”
“Thanks Rich, I...” Jasmine replied and kissed him, then reached into the wardrobe for her purple top and a pair of black pants.
Damn! I nearly told him I love him. Do I? Was it just the thought of going back to my apartment? Jasmine’s head felt like it was going to explode with all the emotions flying through it. Deep down she knew that she loved Richie, it was plainly obvious to her really, but she wasn’t ready to put her relationship with him at risk by saying those three words. Things were perfect as they were and she didn’t want to lose that. When the time was right, she would know.

1 comment: