Saturday, January 15, 2011

Chapter 7

****Sorry for the delay, real life has gotten in the way and I've been busy. Everything seems to be slowing down now and I should be good to post weekly until real life gets in the way again. Enjoy, and please let us know how we're doing, it would be much appreciated.****


The doorbell rang dead on seven, making Jasmine jump out of her chair. She pulled the door open wide, grinning from ear to ear.
“Hey darlin’,” Richie said walking into the room and embracing her. 
“Hey yourself. I’m ready to go when you are.” She replied, hugging him back gently before pulling away and reaching out for her bag.
“I’m always ready,” he chuckled. “Did I tell you that you look beautiful?”
“No, you didn’t, but thank you. You look great too.” She said looking him up and down. He wore a deep purple button down shirt, that wasn’t buttoned very much. It clung to his muscles like it was made especially for him and the top three buttons had been left undone. A crystal on a leather strap hung around his neck, pointing towards his chest and what lay underneath his shirt. His black dress pants hugged his ass and legs, and left nothing much to the imagination. She swooned slightly at the sight in front of her, his scent surrounding her and filling her nostrils.
“Right then, let’s go. I hope you have room for lots of food and some dancing.” Richie said, taking her hand and wrapping his own around it.
“Always,” she grinned and locked the door behind them.

Richie led her to the waiting car, opened the door and followed her inside.
“Where’s the Porsche?”
“Figured I’d leave it at home so I can have a drink. I prefer having a driver when I’m going out, makes things easier.”
“I can see that. So, where are we going?”
“Wait and find out.” He winked, “Did you do anything interesting today?”
They talked and joked until Jasmine realized that they were heading into the city.
“Are we going into the city?”
“Yeah, nothing gets past you does it?”
“Ha ha.” She rolled her eyes at him and slapped him softly on the arm. They carried on until they reached the river. The car stopped and the driver opened the door for them. Richie got out first and held out his hand for Jasmine to take as she exited the car. When they were both standing on the pavement she looked around her and took in her surroundings.
“It’s such a beautiful city. I love the way the lights make it look like it’s glowing in the dark.” Jasmine said, staring up into the sky, taking in the lights twinkling from the buildings that loomed from above.
“Well come on then, I’m hungry.” Richie rubbed his stomach with his spare hand and led Jasmine towards the jetty where there was a boat waiting. As they approached, it began to dawn on Jasmine just what Richie had planned, and a mixture of excitement and shock went through her. As her mind whirred at the implication of the gesture she slowed her walk. Richie felt her hold back so he stopped and turned to look at her,
“Everything ok darlin’?”
She nodded, “Yeah, I’m just surprised we’re going on a boat.”
“You don’t get sea sick do you? I’m so sorry, I didn’t even think to ask you.”
“Relax. I’m not sea sick, not as far as I know anyway. I think they’re waiting for us, we should get on board.”
Richie smiled at her and helped her on deck. He had hired a yacht for just the two of them, and had arranged to have a waiter serve them dinner. They were shown to the living room of the yacht and were handed a glass of champagne. The retractable roof was open and the tablecloth flapped in the breeze.
“It’s beautiful,” Jasmine whispered, the moment took her words away.
“I’m glad you like it. I got the idea from something you said at breakfast the other day. How do you feel about seeing the city from the water?”
“Really? We’re actually going sailing?”
“If you want to darlin’, I thought we could sail around Manhattan, see the bridges and all that stuff from a different angle.”
“Oh, I want!” Jasmine said, her eyes shining brightly at the prospect.
Richie nodded at the skipper and the engines roared into life. Jasmine stumbled backwards as the throttle kicked in and the yacht began to move. Richie caught her and held on to her until she regained her footing. Once she had found her sea legs she walked over to the side of the yacht and watched as they passed along the coastline of Manhattan.

“Wow! Look at that!” she said, pointing to the shoreline and Battery Park. Richie laughed and put his hands on her shoulder. He turned her round and said,
“Look over there.” He pointed towards the Statue of Liberty which was standing proudly in the distance, presiding over the city and their little yacht.
Jasmine sighed, “I love this city. I know I’ve not been here long but it’s just amazing.”
“I’ve been to pretty much every corner of the world and this is definitely the best place on Earth,” Richie agreed.
At that moment the waiter came over and told them that dinner was ready whenever they wanted it. 
“Shall we?” Richie gestured towards the table. Jasmine nodded and walked towards the table, smiling at Richie as he pulled the chair out for her.
As they chewed on the antipasti on offer Richie pointed out more landmarks as they passed and they both passed the food across the table when they found a dish they liked. The stereo had been switched on and soft jazz was playing in the background, perfectly setting the relaxed atmosphere that had enveloped the yacht.
The main courses arrived and that somehow preceded the conversation taking a more serious turn. 
“Rich, this is amazing. Thank you so much for arranging this. It’s more than you should have done but it was an inspired idea.”
“No problem. To be honest it’s been so long since I had a lovely lady to go out with that I thought I’d push the boat out, so to speak.”
Jasmine giggled at the pun, whether it was intended or not, it had tickled her.
“Really? I can’t believe you’re short of women who want to be wined and dined by you.”
Richie sighed. “You’re right. I could have one for every night of the week but I’ve just not been interested. Not since my last relationship.”
He was looking right at her opening up his heart through his eyes and she could see the thin film of moisture coating the dark bulbs staring into her soul.
“Do you mind if I ask you what happened?”
“Not at all Jas darlin’. What do you know already?”
“Nothing. I told you before. I don’t really pay attention to your private lives, it’s the music I’m interested in.”
“Ok. Well it’s pretty simple really. I was madly in love with her, and I thought she was with me too. We’d been together for a few years and I was all set to propose to her. Had the ring and everything.” He paused and took a sip of his drink.
Jasmine didn’t say anything instead she waited for him to continue, sure that there was more that he had to say.
“I was in California working on some solo stuff with a few producers there. You might know them. Anyhow, I thought I’d come back early to surprise her but it was me that got the surprise. I pulled into her street only to find her practically making out with someone else in broad-daylight.”
Jasmine shook her head and looked down at the tablecloth, “I’m so sorry Rich. You don’t deserve that.”
“Yeah…well. Probably the best thing to happen. If I ever see her, or him again, I don’t know what I’d do but it wouldn’t be pretty.”
“They’re not worth it. It’s her loss.”
“Thanks darlin’. You say the nicest things!”
“I mean it.”
They looked at each other a second longer than was normal for this type of conversation between friends. Jasmine was the first to look away, and carried on eating.
“Well?”
“Well what?” she asked,
“You know about me. What about you? Any nasty dark secrets in your past?”
Jasmine laughed and shook her head.
“Nothing nasty, no. Just disappointments.”
“Do tell. If you want to that is.”
“You’ve been honest with me Rich, of course I’ll tell you. It’s a little boring though. I just never found anyone who gets me. You know? Someone on the same wavelength with the same passions as me. I don’t expect them to love everything I do, but they need to at least understand why things mean so much to me.”
Richie nodded in agreement, it was something he had been searching for as well, and as of yet it seemed he was never going to find it.
“I know all about that honey, been trying to find the same for myself.”
“So I’m not being picky? I always thought I was just being too choosy, but I can’t ever see myself being with someone who doesn’t get my obsessions.”
“No, you’re definitely not picky. What’s the point in being with someone who doesn’t understand what makes you tick?” Richie replied, then looked up with a cheeky grin on his face, 
“What does make you tick?”
“Music. Plain and simple.”
“That one I understand.”
The rest of the meal went by in a blur as they talked about their love of music and what they listened to growing up. They found that they both had an overwhelming affection for The Beatles and ended up quoting lyrics to each other. Jasmine held tightly to her stomach as Richie slipped into his British accent and started singing to her with the exaggerated accent. Her stomach muscles ached from laughing so hard and for so long, and her lips were beginning to hurt from smiling so much. She had been so engrossed with the meal and with the fantastic company that she hadn’t noticed it getting colder. It was only as they calmed down from the hilarity that the change in temperature became apparent and she shivered. Richie noticed her shiver and saw that her skin was getting goose bumps. He got up out of his chair and walked over to her with his jacket.
“Here, put this on. It’ll keep you warm.” He said, putting the coat over her shoulders.
“Thanks, but won’t you get cold?”
“No matter.” He shrugged. 
“Man, your ex was dumb to let you go, you’re a perfect gentleman,” she smiled.
“I wouldn’t say that, but thanks darlin’.”
“Ok, maybe not so perfect, those burps you do are just gross.”
Richie’s laugh rumbled from his throat and he held his hand out for her. She took it and allowed him to lead her to the side of the yacht. They leant over the side and rested their elbows on the silver railings, which were cold. 
“See that building over there?”
She nodded, “It’s the UN building isn’t it?”
“Yeah. I always kinda liked it.”
They stood a while longer until Richie noticed Jasmine pull his jacket closer and shiver again.
“Shall we get the roof pulled closed?”
“Can we? I’m getting really cold now.”
“Sure.” He motioned the waiter to sort it out for them. He beckoned her over to the sofa and patted the seat next to him. She sat down and he pulled her into him, wrapping his arms around her, rubbing them up and down her arms to warm her up.
“Feeling warmer?”
“A little. Thank you.”
“I can’t have you dying of pneumonia now can I?”
“I didn’t just mean that Rich. I mean for all of this. I’ve had a wonderful evening.”
“Me too. There is nothing better than good food and a good friend to enjoy it with. The only thing to make it better would be some good music.” 
He flicked through the CDs that were piled next to the stereo and found one that he liked. As it started to play he again reached out his hand.
“What?”
“Come and dance with me.”
“Here? Why?”
“It’ll keep you warm, and besides, I feel like dancing.” He said, wiggling his hips.
“You’re goofy Sambora, anyone ever told you that?” Jasmine said, sighing and taking his hand.
“All the time Jas darlin’, all the time!”
Richie pulled her closer to him and she rested her head on his chest. He brought her hand up to him and rested it above where his heart lay. He closed his eyes and soaked in the smell of Jasmine so close to him. He desperately wanted to lift her head up and capture her lips with his, but the fear of ruining the close friendship they had built up had him holding back. The slow song ended and a faster one started, which made Jasmine squeal with delight, 
“I love this one!” she screeched and pulled away from Richie. She danced around the living area of the yacht and wiggled her hips as she did so. Her arms moved in the air and she let the music take her. Richie watched in disbelief at the usually quiet and reserved Jasmine dance around the room in a trance. He held back a giggle and instead stood back to watch the show.
As she came back around towards Richie, she took his hand and twirled herself around.
“Damn girl, what’s got into you?” he asked, laughing.
“Music, Rich, music. Don’t you ever just hear something and know you need to dance or move to it?”
“Sure I do, I just never thought you’d be the same. You’re nuts.”
“Takes one to know one Sambora, now let’s see you move yourself.”
He laughed deeply and loudly, “Ok, but it won’t be pretty.”
They laughed and danced until the yacht began to slow and they collapsed in a heap of giggles on the sofa. 
An hour later they arrived back at Jasmine’s apartment, shattered and happy. 
“You coming in for a bit?” she asked, not moving from her position on the back seat of the car, leaning against Richie with his arms around her waist. 
He rested his chin on her head and spoke softly, 
“Probably not the best idea darlin’. I’m exhausted and I’m likely to fall asleep as soon as I sit back down. You don’t mind do you?”
“Not at all. You’ve had a long day. You were up before noon.”
“Cheek will get you nowhere missy, I’ll see you tomorrow though right?”
“Uh, well yeah. I wasn’t planning on anything. I usually just chill on a Sunday.”
“I’ll be over around lunch time then.” He said, getting up and helping Jasmine out of the car. He walked her up to her door, kissed her on the cheek, lingering slightly, and then turned away as she opened the door and stepped inside.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I want you guys planning all my dates from now on (if there ever are any!). Sweet, creative and utterly unique.

    I'll have to admit I'm anxious for this to move forward a bit though. Kiss her, Rich!!

    Great job ladies, and I can't wait for the next round!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now he invites himself over? Before noon even? Sure.

    ReplyDelete